Sunday, April 10, 2011

Lucky

Yet another, “I meant to write this…” post. I meant to write this on St. Patrick’s Day, so I guess I am only a few weeks behind in my life right now. Well, getting better.

The last few months, I haven’t felt very lucky. In fact, I have mostly felt the exact opposite. So in the spirit of St. Patrick’s Day and the Luck O’the Irish, I started thinking about what in my life is lucky. Here’s what I came up with:

• First and foremost, I am lucky to have the love of the people around me. My husband, my boys, my sister, my close friends – I am so lucky all of them are in my life. And even luckier that they have not only put up with me the last few months, but have loved me all the more!

• I am lucky to have children that, for the most part, sleep and eat well. These are two issues that I know many parents struggle with. I hear the horror stories of children not sleeping through the night until they are three or even older. Jack took longer to sleep through the night than Brett, but he had terrible ear infections. Now, aside from the occasional wet bed or fever, we all sleep through the night at my house. And neither of my children are picky eaters. In addition to being fairly willing to try new foods, my kids like to eat healthy foods. Jack would eat 10 apples a day if we let him, and Brett could easily live on yogurt.

• I am lucky to be a healthy person. I remember going to my preliminary doctor appointment when I was pregnant with Brett. As the nurse got to the end of the medical history section she commented that I was one of the healthiest patients she had seen in a long time. I have no chronic conditions or issues and really no family history of anything major.

• Finally, I am lucky to be smart. We all know the game of “would you rather…” Whenever the question is would you rather be smart or (fill in the blank), I almost always would choose smart. I don’t mean that I am the next Albert Einstein or that I am going to solve the problems of the universe, but I am smart enough to be thought of as intelligent and to be able to solve many of life’s daily problems. I can explain a fair amount of the world to my kids and can teach them quite a bit. I can read for information as well as for enjoyment. I can have debates and heated conversations with others – and hold my own. I can be creative and can solve tough problems.

I may not have discovered the pot of gold at the end of a rainbow, but I can still claim to have some Irish luck. And who knows, maybe that gold is right around the corner for me…

No comments:

Post a Comment