Monday, May 24, 2010

Techno Junkie

I am officially addicted to my technological devices. Today, my cell phone completely died in the middle of a phone call. I did the thing everyone does when a call drops - "Hello? Can you hear me? How about now?" Then I looked down at the screen and it was blinking at me and getting snowier and snowier with each blink. Then it just quit. At that point, I started to freak out. I took the battery out and put it back in, thinking maybe it just needed a hard reset. More blinking, snowy screen. Then I really freaked out. All my contact numbers are stored in that phone. Pictures of my kids are stored in that phone. My phone is my link to the outside world. I talk, text, e-mail, surf, and status-update from that phone. So I was the crazy person that dropped everything and ran to the Verizon store. A new phone is being overnighted to me as I type. The salesgirl told me how to try to get my info out, which worked. Apparently it was a fried battery was the problem (which a new battery, strangely, costs more than a new phone). Even in the midst of my freak out, I knew it was ridiculous to be freaking out. But I have officially become a "techie girl." Just this weekend I was in the car swearing (under my breath so Jack wouldn't hear) because the map enclosed in a party invite didn't show that the road ended and picked back up again on the other side of the highway. I frantically started entering the address into the TomTom and breathed a sigh of relief when the pleasant voice started telling me where to turn. Somehow in the last year or so at work I have become the "go to" person for all things technical - webcasts, computer based learning, etc. Even my title changed to "Learning and Technology Consultant" (long and pretentious, I know - not my choice). So I'm embracing it. I'm accepting that I would rather be on the computer than watch tv. I'm giving in to the fact that I covet new tech toys like the iPad and the Nook. And I'm counting down the hours until my new phone arrives - with all the latest technology!

1 comment: