Monday, May 10, 2010

Binket

I'm sure the picture above looks odd to most people. It is Jack's "binket." Jack's blanket has always been called his "binket" at our house. The name comes from the Sandra Boynton book, "Dinosaur's Binket" about a little dinosaur that cannot go to bed until he finds his blanket, or as he calls it, his binket. So why do I have a picture of Jack's binket laying on the floor posted on the blog? Because Jack told me a couple weeks ago that he was too big for a binket now. I thought he was just saying it. But since he told me that, he has only taken a binket to daycare maybe once and has stopped caring if he has his binket at nap time and bedtime. The only time he takes it to bed is if I bring it up. Hence, why the binket is just laying on the floor. I am far more upset about this than anyone else in my house (or the world, I'm sure). The fact that Jack no longer needs his binket reminds me that he is growing up. It is another reminder to me that you never know when the "last" of something is going to be with your kids. I remember realizing a few weeks after Brett was born that Jack was never going to fall asleep on my lap in the rocking chair while I read him a Dr. Suess story for nap again. We still rock and we still read stories, but now he stays awake and gets in bed and falls asleep. It makes me sad though that I will never see his eyes slowly drift shut while I read the rhyming words of Suess. It also makes me sad that I never realized in those weeks before Jack gave this up how close I was to the end of that phase. It is another reminder to me to live in the moment and soak up all those moments I love. I need those reminders because the day-to-day so often eats up those moments and allows them to pass unnoticed. Like a couple weeks ago when I checked on Jack before going to bed and saw him snuggled up with his binket. Jack may be ready to give up his binket, but I could use a little more time with it.

1 comment:

  1. I had this same thing a few weeks ago when Kyle's blankie was lost. For two weeks he didn't care, and *I* cared that he didn't care! And when Jack gives up afternoon naps he will fall asleep on you again at bedtime. :)

    ReplyDelete