Monday, September 12, 2011

School Days

My little Jack-a-roo started school this week. He is in the Young 5's class at Lincoln Elementary; officially a South Haven Ram now. I, like the emotional mother I am, cried like a baby his first day of school. I did save my tears for after I left his classroom, but trust me, they flowed. I couldn't believe I was leaving my little boy in that big classroom for the whole day.


I saw my friend Senice in the parking lot when walking back to my car. She asked me if Jack had, all of a sudden, seemed like a little boy this last week; more grown up. I realized he absolutely had. My baby was disappearing and being replaced by a boy. It made me sad, and happy, and proud all at once. And I realized that's what the tears were for.

So as I think about my little boy, and not my baby, here is what I am most proud of:

• Jack entered that Kindergarten room confident. He had no problem with my leaving him there. He came in, checked things out, and found a spot to play. He had no tears and no fears.

• He is eager to make friends. He told me about being excited to show the other kids his new backpack. He told me about playing with kids on the playground.

• He is honest. While he knew I wouldn't really like the answer, he was honest that he ate all his cheese pizza, but did not eat any of the salad or grapes that came with it. I praised his honesty, but, being me, I also talked about the importance of eating fruits and veggies.

• He had a big smile on his face when I saw him at the end of the day. I'm sure his day had its share of uncertainty and stress, but he was smiling at the end of it. He made his way through it and was happy.

Jack's first day was great, which makes me unbelievably happy. Here are some pics from the big day:
 Breakfast - maybe not quite ready for the day!

 NOW we're ready for the day!

 Brett had to be just like his big brother and wear his backpack!

 My boys and their packs

 My happy little boy

 Waiting for the doors to open (it was a little chilly!)

In front of Jack's new classroom

No comments:

Post a Comment