Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Future Careers

I recently read an article about predictions you could, and could not, make about your child's future personality based on early behaviors. It got me thinking about what my kids will be like in the future. Based on their current behaviors and interests, here are some of my predictions for possible careers my children will choose:


Jack
• Writer – Jack is quite the storyteller. He is constantly telling me about things his stuffed animals (his kids) have done. He will tell me very elaborate tales of what Gorilla and Girly-Girl did that day with him. He has an amazing imagination and I honestly could see him doing something very creative in life. Since he loves books and hates crafts, I think writing may be more his creative expression than art.

• Hostage negotiator – Jack likes to negotiate everything lately. His bedtime, how long he can play computer games or watch TV, what he has to eat off his plate to get dessert. You name it, he will negotiate it.

• Lawyer – If Jack's negotiations fail, he turns to arguing his case. Why he did something naughty, or why he should get to do something good. And he's sneaky about getting you to argue back. I will often find myself in the middle of arguing something with him and wonder how I got sucked into arguing.

• Alien Fighter or Dinosaur Trainer – Jack is very into Dinosaurs and Aliens, two things I know do not exist in our little corner of the universe, but Jack is convinced they do. When his cousin asked him what he wanted to be, Jack replied, "A Dinosaur Trainer." When Kyle told him the dinosaurs weren't around anymore, Jack's answer was, "I know that. But they're coming back." If the dinosaurs come back or aliens attack, there is no doubt in my mind Jack will be ready to protect and save us all. (You're breathing a sigh of relief right now, aren't you?)

Brett
• Dentist – Brett is obsessed with brushing his teeth. If allowed, he would brush his teeth twenty times a day. Last week I was at my company picnic at the beach and in the middle of it, Brett looked at me and said, "Brush teeth?" I asked him if he wanted to brush his teeth right then and he told me yes. I am sure he will be the child with a toothbrush and toothpaste in his backpack.

• Sumo Wrestler – Brett loves to sleep and eat and tackle anyone in his way. Need I say more about this profession?

• Petrologist – I had to look up the accurate name for this. It is a scientist who studies rocks. Brett loves to pick up rocks. Almost every day he has to select a rock from the driveway to carry with him to daycare. He is not quite two, so for obvious reasons, we have had to establish the rule that the rock stays in the car and does not go into daycare. He also keeps a little stash of rocks on the back porch. If we are out somewhere and see rocks, he has to stop and always wants to take one with. (Sorry to everyone in South Haven missing rocks from their landscaping…)

• Comedic Actor – Brett loves to make people laugh. And once he figures out he can, he tries even harder. He is also incredibly charming. He would be the perfect leading man in a romantic comedy. Although, he would probably need to hit the gym with a trainer (see the previous sumo wrestler description!).

No comments:

Post a Comment