Sunday, June 26, 2011

Brett Casey - Spring 2011

Brett is becoming quite the character. He is slowly moving out of the baby phase and becoming a full-fledged toddler. It makes me just a little sad, but seeing the personality that is emerging brings a smile to my face.
  • Brett has finally started to talk more. He is often difficult to understand, but I seem to be able to decipher his language better than anyone else. His words are sometimes not that similar to the actual word; for example, when Brett says “dadoo” what he actually means is “water.” We have jokingly called him “The Repeater” lately because he will repeat most anything you tell him. He wants to know the names of things now and will frequently ask, “What that?” I absolutely love that when you tell him what it is, he says, “Oh,” just like an adult.
  • Brett is hilarious. And he knows he is funny. And he tries to be funny whenever he can. He loves to make people laugh. He will put things on his head, make funny faces, yell crazy sounds, anything to get a laugh out of people. He will certainly be the class clown, but I think he will be the type that teachers almost can’t be strict with because he is so adorable in his antics.
  • One of Brett’s favorite words is “no.” He is at that stage where his immediate response to any question is “no,” then he will think about it and sometimes change his mind. Our conversation the other day: Me – “Brett, do you want some pretzels?” Brett – “NO!” Me – “Are you sure you don’t some pretzels?” Brett – “Yes, pretzels, mine.” That pattern is repeated about 50 times day.
  • Brett is absolutely not a TV guy. He is the exact opposite of his brother in that regard. He is all boy though, just like his brother. Right now he loves trucks and cars. He wants to tackle me any time I sit on the floor. And he loves to play superheroes with his brother.
  • I had worried that Brett was not going to like books. I actually stressed out about it when he was younger. Jack had been a book reader (well, listener) since the day he was born. I just assumed with my passion for reading and the small (ok, large) library of children’s books in my home, that all my kids would naturally be into books. When Brett was younger I could not get him to listen to more than a page or so and he would be done. He is slowly coming around. He is in a phase now where we often will read the same book two or three times before bed, rather than reading two or three different books. But he is starting to have favorites. He loves the Sandra Boynton books (just about all of them!). He loves the “How Do Dinosaurs…” books. And lately he has been picking one of Jack’s big Disney story collection books and picking a story from that. I am less worried these days.

Brett continues to capture my heart in a way I never knew was possible. He remains my Mama’s Boy and asks for me all the time. I know he won’t always be this attached to me, so I try to soak it up as much as I can. Even as he grows up, I will forever think of him as my little Monkey.

No comments:

Post a Comment