Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Why I Love Facebook

I am slightly addicted to Facebook. I admit it. I was so excited to get my new cell phone this summer because of the better “Facebooking” capabilities. I often check it before I go to bed. I sneak peeks during the day. But for me, Facebook has become much more than just a time waster (although the Facebook Majongg game is purely a time waster!). I love that I have reconnected with friends from high school, and even earlier. I found a friend that had moved away in middle school. Making these connections years later has shown me so much that I would not have otherwise known. I am amazed at the similarities I share with so many high school friends. Now that we are all moving into the stage of life where we are settling down into careers and families, I find it fun, and at times comforting, to see that everyone else has the same joys and struggles that come with raising children. As we have all grown up the silly social constraints of high school are gone and I actually know about some people from high school than I did when we were teenagers. I love to see what people are doing now. I also love being to share in a tiny way in the joys of their lives, even if it is just with a simply “like.” I also feel I have much stronger connections with some of my extended family through Facebook. My aunts and cousins that live scattered around the country are now a part of my daily life. I see what they are doing, and what is making them happy, sad, angry, and every other emotion. When I am having a tough time, and my status shows it, I feel their support through all of the comments. Having this more frequent communication with them has helped me to know more about them and their lives. I talk to them more. I feel closer and more connected to my family. So while I have friends that have made fun of my Facebook activity, I wouldn’t give it up. Many times, my “Facebook friends” know more about my life than those friends that tease me. And I also sometimes feel more support from those that have a window into my life on a daily basis than I do from those that simply catch up when we can. My life often doesn’t allow me much time to catch up with friends. But I can hop on Facebook for two minutes and find out what 20 people I know are up to. I’ll stay addicted.

No comments:

Post a Comment