Sunday, June 13, 2010

Jack - at almost 4

Jack at almost 4:
  • Jack did not go through the terrible twos. He apparently waited and is now in the terrible threes. This mostly stems from a combination of a typical toddler/preschooler need to exert his independence and an extremely stubborn personality.
  • Despite the challenges Jack presents right now, he also makes me laugh more than anyone else in the world. Sometimes it is because he is trying to be funny (he is destined to be a class clown), and sometimes it is simply in the way he says things. Perfect example - earlier today Troy was having a talk with Jack about his behavior. Jack stayed up extra late last night because we were at a party and was having a rough time this morning. Troy told him he was crying because he stayed up too late. He said he couldn't stay up late again for special things because he had too much trouble behaving the next day. An hour or so later I was telling Jack we were going to a Tigers game later this summer. I told him it was a night game and asked him if he thought he could stay up for it (forgetting the conversation from earlier). Jack, serious as could be, said, "No. I can't stay up late. Because it makes me cry."
  • Jack is my sensitive guy. He gets his feelings hurt very easily. As his mom, this absolutely kills me. That desire to protect your children is so strong, I have found myself ashamed for wanting to beat up another four year for hurting my kid's feelings. :) Well, maybe I haven't wanted to physically hurt another kid, but I have definitely had to bite my tongue to not let the sarcastic and or self-esteem-damaging comments out.
  • I think of Jack as my "Renaissance Man." He is into sports and very athletic, he loves to read, he is a little scientist - especially interested in animals and outer space, he loves music - both listening and playing, he has been getting into art lately, and is the sweetest little boy - which makes him very popular with the preschool crowd. I love how well-rounded he is!

1 comment: